Write the Product Vision
22 February 2022
This page is part of The Lean Inception article series
In order to get from an idea to a product launch, we need a vision of the product to help us to trace the initial path. This vision defines the essence of the business value of the product and must reflect a clear and convincing message to the product's users. This activity will help us to collaboratively define the vision of the product.
This activity is based on Geoffry Moore's "vision of the product” from Crossing the Chasm.
- For [final client],
- whose [problem that needs to be solved],
- the [name of the product]
- is a [product category]
- that [key-benefits, reason to buy it].
- Different from [competition alternative],
- our product [key-difference].
How we do it
- Write the product vision template in a whiteboard or flipchart so that the whole team can see it easily.
- Divide the team into smaller groups and ask each one to fill one blank slot (if the team is small, they can do more than one).
- Gather the results of each group to form the final statement.
In this activity it's very common that the resulting sentence is senseless . Ergo, after doing the third step, get the team to work together to form a coherent sentence, using and altering the previous results as necessary.
|Monday||Introduce the inception, kick off, and Write the Product Vision||The product Is – Is not – Does – Does not|
|Tuesday||Describe the Personas||Discover the Features|
|Wednesday||Technical, User eXperience and Business Review||Show the User Journeys|
|Thursday||Display Features in Journeys||Sequence the Features|
|Friday||Build the MVP Canvas||Showcase the results of the inception to those interested in the project|
This page is an activity of The Lean Inception, for an overview go to the main page.
For more details on how to run a workshop, consult the book.