Thinking about Big Data
"Big Data" has leapt rapidly into one of the most hyped terms
in our industry, yet the hype should not blind people to the
fact that this is a genuinely important shift about the role of
data in the world. The amount, speed, and value of data sources
is rapidly increasing. Data management has to change in five
broad areas: extraction of data from a wider range of
sources, changes to the logistics of data management with
new database and integration approaches, the use of agile
principles in running analytics projects, an emphasis on
techniques for data interpretation to separate signal
from noise, and the importance of well-designed
visualization to make that signal more comprehensible.
Summing up this means we don't need big analytics projects,
instead we want the new data thinking to permeate our regular
29 January 2013
- Tap the question mark in the top banner to show this panel, tap it
again to hide it.
- Move forward and backward using the arrow buttons at the top banner.
- If you’re on a touch device then a tap on the left or right will
move backwards or forwards. Tapping elsewhere will bring up a simple
- If this deck has a table of contents, there will be a button on
the top banner. Tap it to bring up a list of links to some of the
slides in the deck. Tap it again to hide it.
- You can also use a keyboard:
- left-arrow, down-arrow, page-down, and space move forwards.
- right-arrow, up-arrow, page-up, and backspace move backwards
- If you’re on a slide with many builds, then the up and down arrow
keys will skip over the builds
- press “g” to bring up a dialog which allows you to jump to any
slide number. You can also do this by clicking on the page number
on the banner.
- press “home” to go to the first slide, “end” to the last
- press “c” to bring up the table of contents (if there is one). Tap
c to hide it again.
- The ‘ # ‘ in the banner puts a deep link to the currently visible slide
into the address bar
The deck should work well in the latest versions of most browsers. If
you are using Internet Explorer you will need version 10 to get a